Expression of Interest: Interim Communications Director
Ambulance Paramedics of BC / Emergency Dispatchers of BC – CUPE Local 873
** SHOP STEWARDS PLEASE PRINT & POST **
Date Posted: Oct 22, 2016
Closing Date: Nov 12, 2016
Position: Interim Communications Director – CUPE Local 873
CUPE 873 is seeking interested member applicants for the position of Interim Communications Director.
Primary Duties, Responsibilities and Critical Tasks:
The successful candidate will have a strong background in communications, with attributes including written language, critical thinking and communications planning. A proven ability to work effectively and strategically in a dynamic, demanding and ever evolving environment is an asset. As the Interim Communications Director you will be relied upon to deliver dependable, high quality and comprehensive written communications and strategic advice and initiatives. The following are key operational duties, however, the position may not be limited to these functions.
Working under the direction of the President, and / or the Provincial Executive Committee (PEC), the Interim Communications Director shall:
- Strive to understand the evolving and demanding roles of paramedics and emergency dispatchers, and the strategic objectives of the Union
- Be responsible for the planning and development of internal and external communications
- In consultation with the PEC, create and implement of a formal communication plan
- Work collaboratively with the President, PEC, Public Education Director and the Social Media Director on development of regular communications, both internally and externally
- Work collaboratively with the PEC and the PR Firm, to develop and implement strategies to enhance CUPE Local 873 and 873-02 public profile.
- Help to ensure strategies are developed and implemented to increase access to CUPE Local 873 for media
- Attend and present at APBC functions as directed by PEC, including annual convention and Provincial Executive Board meetings and political functions / events
- Develop internal / external publications such as, but not limited to newsletters, releases, executive briefings, email announcements, planned publications, on-line releases, power point presentations, video, special projects and assignments and campaigns.
- Through collaborative discussions with the PEC, Public Education Director and Social Media Director, create and disseminate a quarterly internal newsletter with a focus on inclusive communication towards CUPE 873 and CUPE 873-02 members. The newsletter will contain such topics as, but not limited to: current events, relevant meeting minutes, upcoming events, “good of the union,” and regional news.
- Provide support to the Provincial Executive Board (PEB) and Shop Stewards, in communicating with regional / local membership.
- Provide communication support to Provincial Committee Chairpersons in their roles as requested.
- Maintain professionalism in appearance, conduct and online presence
- Perform other work at the direction of the Provincial Executive Committee and/or Board.
- Participate in relevant training as approved by the Executive Committee or Board.
Prerequisites and Preferred Attributes:
Applicants possessing the following qualifications and prerequisites will be given first consideration:
- Previous experience in a communications type role: College or university degree/diploma in communications, journalism, English, or related discipline or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Extensive verbal, written and oral communication skills
- Excellent project management skills including time management, organizing, scheduling, and stakeholder engagement skills
- A strong knowledge and utilization of social media
- A basic understanding of web design and publishing
- Proven ability to work cooperatively with volunteers, multicultural communities, LGBTQ2+ communities, union members, politicians, union leaders, non-profits and community groups on a range of issues
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, and Excel, Adobe Creative Suite, especially Photoshop and InDesign
- Ability to multi-task and a strong attention to detail
- Have demonstrated ability to be proactive and self-starting, as well as the ability to work with a team and work under pressure
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and security practices required by the position.
- Internal Applicants will be compensated for work done via union shift coverage, as deemed necessary by the Provincial Executive Committee.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this opportunity and becoming part of the APBC team, please send your full resume, including cover letter, by email to: email@example.com, by November 12, 2016.
We thank all applicants for your interest, however only those shortlisted will be contacted after application.