Substance Use Disorder Funding

Substance Use Disorder Funding

As part of the 2019-2022 collective agreement bargaining, HEABC is providing BCEHS a one-time payment of $100,000 to establish a fund to support employees who require assistance with the challenges associated with seeking and obtaining treatment for substance use issues. The goal of this funding is to have timely supports that help reduce barriers and stigma for those that need this assistance. See the Memorandum of Understanding (pg 95) of the 2019-2022 Collective Agreement.

BCEHS and CUPE 873 have reviewed the policies, procedures and intervention programs related to substance use disorders and are currently finalizing guidelines for the administration of these funds. The funds will be administered by the PHSA/BCEHS Disability Management department and will be used to assist eligible employees with costs associated with travel, meal and accommodations as it relates to medical assessment(s) (i.e. independent medical evaluation), supported withdrawal (i.e. detox) and/or treatment (i.e. residential treatment) for their substance use disorder.

We encourage all employees who require support and assistance for their substance use to reach out to the Disability Management department and take advantage of this program and other services. The Disability Management department can be reached by emailing

Your union and the Disability Management department are available to provide you with information and answer any questions you may have about this program as well as other supports and services available to BCEHS employees.

People experiencing substance use challenges will have different healing journeys, but support is an essential resource throughout.

The following supports are available in the community:

• If you are in distress, please call 911 or contact the Crisis Centre at

Additional Distress Service contact information:

  • Vancouver Coastal Health Region – Vancouver, Richmond, North Shore, Sea to Sky:604-872-3311

  • Toll Free – Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast, Bella Coola:1-866-661-3311

  • 1-800-SUICIDE (BC-wide)

  • 1-800-SUICIDE (784-2433)

  • Mental Health Support Line (BC-wide) 310-6789

  • Online Service for Adults
  • BCEHS CIS, 1-855-969-4321 to request a peer check-in or email:

• 811
Call 811 from anywhere in BC anytime during the day or night to speak to a health services navigator. They can help you find local health information and connect you directly with a registered nurse. For more information, check out Recovery Services & Treatment Support. Consider peer support options such as Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) or Narcotics Anonymous (NA).

• Homewood Health
PHSA’s employee and family assistance program (EFAP), provided through Homewood Health, and is available to assist you 24/7 via video, phone, private online chat or private messaging. Phone: 1-800-663-1142.  Website:


Darlene MacKinnon
Chief Operating Officer
BC Emergency Health Services Provincial Health Services Authority

Troy Clifford
Provincial President, Ambulance Paramedics of BC CUPE Local 873

Please click HERE to view the PDF version of this message.